Wednesday, December 21, 2011

24 Weeks- the size of a Baseball mit!!

We've reached a really crucial point in our pregnancy, one which I'm feeling quite releived about. With modern medical technology, our beautiful baby girl would have a chance to survive if she were born now. (Don't take that as a hint to come early, baby!!)
 
 
 
 
 
Baby:
My baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts her at just over a pound. Since she's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), she cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but her body is filling out proportionally and she'll soon start to plump up. Her brain is also growing quickly now, and her taste buds are continuing to develop. Hier lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help her air sacs inflate once she hits the outside world. Her skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.  She baby sleeps and wakes in a more regular pattern now. The center of her bones are beginning to harden.  She can make a fist now and may already have a preference for the right or left hand.
 
How far along? 24 weeks
Symptoms: Feeling great! No sickness, however still have the horrible heart burn. I have started to have some SERIOUS hip pain, however, which is quite uncomfortable. I don't remember this with Alexis!  Last weekend I apparently pushed myself a little too hard, because I looked down and had water balloons for feet :-\ Lesson learned, rest my feet.
Total weight gain/loss: 10+
Maternity clothes? YES....  I can still wear nonmaternity pants and some shirts, but the shirts are getting too short, and the pants are just annoying because I have to keep readjusting my bellaband.
Sleep: One day, I will see this again... I have found that If I am VERY active right before going to sleep, I fall asleep faster which has been nice.
Movement: Lots and Lots! You can see all her kicks and punches from the outside. Justin and Alexis have been feeling her a lot too which is nice. she has also taken a liking to treating my bladder like a punching bag. Its nice. ;)
Food cravings: Nothing yet- but I'm trying to eat a large variety of foods.
Belly Button in or out: In
What I miss: wine
What I am looking forward to: Christmas which is just days away! Also, Im really excited to start working on the nursery and buying baby gear :)

No comments: